Saturday 11 June 2011

Theakstons Old Peculiar Crime Writing Festival



A couple of weeks ago, I booked to attend the Theakstons Crime Writing Festival at the end of July. A four day festival held in Harrogate filled with some amazing names. The likes of David Baldacci and Tess Gerritson will be there, as well as Martina Cole, Lee Child and Val Mcdermid to name but a few.


The event is filled with guest speakers and panels and you can either book the individual sessions you are interested in or buy rover tickets which mean you can go to any on the particular day you have purchased for. I have bought a rover ticket for the entire event which means I can go to all the sessions. It will be a long weekend. The events start about 10.00 am in a morning and go on into the evening. The last speakers doing a 10.00 pm slot. I've booked the time off work and the following day as well so I can recover. I intend to see all that I can.

I'm so excited, but in equal measure I'm anxious. I've never been to an event like this before. Crowds of people who all know each other from previous festivals and book events. This is my first step into this world and it's with trepidation as I don't feel I really belong.

What will be great though, is the opportunity to meet people with shared interests. People with an interest in crime thrillers. I talk to many writers through twitter, blogging and Facebook but there are only a handful who are writing crime. I love it with a passion and a whole weekend filled with wonderful guest speakers will really drive me forward in my own work with fire in my belly.

I wanted to stay in the accommodation where they were hosting the event but I was a little late booking so I have an equally nice hotel a five minute walk away.

Expect a blog post filled with photographs following the event!

Do you attend writers events and if so which ones have you attended, or what is on your wish list?

9 comments:

  1. *sigh* I'd love to attend a writing conference/event, but don't really have the fund to do so. I'll get to one eventually though!

    Have fun at Theakstons though, it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have attended a couple as an editor, not a writer. There are a few I've heard about that I'd love to attend, but they aren't in my area and so far haven't been to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been ot one of these evnts but I really really want to go to this one one year. I wnated to go this year, but lack of funds stopped me - maybe next year then. We will have to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a couple different romance conferences that I'd like to attend. Mostly just because they look fun! Haven't done so yet, but plan to at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, if I only had the spare pennies I'd join you Rebecca. Harrogate is not that far away from me, and it's a beautiful place.

    Have lots of fun, remember that it's your world, you do belong and I bet you're not the only one who'll be there for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an incredible experience. I'd love to attend a writers conference, but there just aren't any here... Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and can travel overseas just to go to a conference or two.

    Dreaming's still free, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never attended a writers' conference before and now I'm attending two! Readercon in the U.S. in about a month's time and Fantasycon in Brighton in... September? Something like that. As you say, excited but incredibly nervous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca: Fell upon your blog when doing some searching. I've attended many writing conferences now as a writer, but before as an aspiring one and they are wonderful! Here's a tip: Do go to the bar after hours in the main hotel. Even alone (I did this and was incredibly nervous but forced myself). All the writers will be there and you may get to meet a few on a more personal level. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny - I ummed and ahhed about going, but the attending author lineup is amazing. I realy can't wait to go. You'll have to look out for one day events that are within a shortish distance for you and see what you can find. This is my first.

    Karen - This one isn't my area, so I'm staying over on the weekend package. It's really a bit of a treat for myself.

    Chippy - If you're planning on one for next year, why not start the fund plan now? A bit away at a time in a jar and before you know it, you'll have enough for next year. I'm worried that if I go to this I will want to go to them all the time and that would really hit my pocket!

    Ranae - I follow a couple of people on Twitter who go to the romance conferences and it really looks as though they have a ball. It's worth looking into.

    Sarah - I have to admit, it hasn't been a cheap treat for myself. Thank you for your positivity. Now I'll just have to try and take that with me!

    Kate - Dreaming is definitely still free. I hope one day you will be able to do one. I will be sharing photographs of mine here after the event.

    Anne-Mhairi - Two! I hope you have a fabulous time. It is strange how the nerves are there even though it's something we're so much looking forward to isn't it. :)

    Jamie - Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I know it's something I have to do, push myself out of my comfort zone but you're right, the bar in the evening is where I will get to talk to more people. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete